Wednesday, September 10, 2014

New York City: The Concrete Jungle. July 23-27, 2014

Hey everyone!

In my last blog I said I was going to do a miscellaneous blog post  to kind of catch up from May-July, but it all seemed to random to be brought together. SO, instead, I decided to do my New York post first! 


This was my first time in New York! I was VERY excited to experience it. I couldn't wait to get right in the middle of the concrete jungle! I will say that it did not disappoint. This is one of the best trips Eyen and I have gone on yet. 


I was really excited to see the concrete jungle from the plane, but I was SO excited that I took the photos too early and completely missed the actual skyscrapers. These are the photos I snapped instead.



 Taxi selfies.

Of course our first stop was food. New York style pizza was top of our list. We love pizza, if you can't tell. This is from "John's pizza" near Times Square. Half Hawaiian, half Marguerita. It was a very good pizza, but it was very heavy. It had a lot of crust and a lot of cheese. All great, except when you're about to walk MILES up and down New York streets.


After lunch it was time to explore! Starting with Time's Square. 


Tall buildings and lots of people. I have finally been to Times Square!



Eyen representing Houston while in New York. 






 For a snack, we stopped by for cheesecake and coffee in a place called "Two Little Red Hens". The coffee was VERY strong. I like strong coffee, but this was a bit over the top. The cheesecake was good but nothing spectacular. However, they had some very AWESOME looking cupcakes!



After our snacks, we made our way over to Central Park! The only thing I could think of was Home Alone 2.


I loved this area of the park. Strawberry fields, in memory of John Lennon.



 I actually got chills while at this part of the park. It was a very nice memorial.


While I was taking this photo, I heard a tour guide telling some tourists that the large building is actually the museum from "Night at the Museum".


 The fountain of Bethesda. Very pretty!



 A really cool and creepy underground tunnel!




The Alice in Wonderland statue. Very cute.




 For dinner we headed over to Chinatown. We stopped at this small dim sum called "Nom Wah Tea Parlor". The dim sum was exceptional. We weren't able to try the tea.


 This is a fried, bacon wrapped seafood roll. YUM!
 Fried clam ball.
 Shrimp ball.
 Shrimp saomai. (show-my).

Happy time! hehe. 




After dinner, we decided to check out the Empire State building. We really wanted to see the night view! It was not disappointing! The next several pics are some we snapped from the top! 











 selfies.












 This is Times Square. You can see how much brighter it is there because of the billboards that are lit up.



 The next day, we decided to have breakfast and go visit the Statue of Liberty!

 We had breakfast at a place called "Bubby's". It was fantastic! The food was great, and the service was awesome. I would definitely go here again!

 Handmade root beer and homemade maple syrup. Eyen ordered the breakfast above. It was plenty for us to share! Eggs, ham, potatoes, and fruit.

 We told the waiter that we really wanted to substitute our bread for the pancakes because we heard the pancakes were magnificent. Unfortunately, we couldn't do that. We were disappointed. Next thing we know, our waiter brings us these, free of charge! They were amazing!!!

 A plain bagel with cream cheese. Very simple, but good.

Eyen posing with their mascot outside. This place is known to only use organic meat. I really want to go back and try their burger!



After breakfast, we made our way to the ferry to finally see the Statue of Liberty. f


 This is a Korean War Veterans Memorial that we found right before we got on our ferry. My Dad was a Korean War Veteran, so it holds a special place in my heart.

 A memorial to the immigrants who came over here by sea to have opportunity in the land of the free.

 From afar!
 Views from the city as we left the port.


 The architecture is awesome!


 Eyen <3



There she is! The Statue of Liberty! These were taken from the boat.



 Statue selfies.

 These photos are absolutely breath taking, in my opinion.



The American Flag.

 From behind.




The next few photos are of us being tourists. :)














 Lady Liberty is growing out of my head.




 These were some really cool people dressed up as the statue. 




After the statue, we were able to catch this really cool side show. I can't remember the exact name, but I remember them saying something about young, black men. lol.














 They were really good performers. I have a lot of respect for people who go out their and do what they love to try and make a living. 




Next, we decided to head over to Wall Street.

 Some architecture.


 The bull of Wall Street!


 Next on our agenda was visiting the World Trade Center.


Subway selfies.



Our halal chicken we had for lunch.


The Memorial for those fallen during 9/11. 





 Visitors put roses by the names who have birthdays that day. 

Once we were done at the World Trade Center, we headed back to the hotel to get ready for WICKED! I was so excited!!

WARNING: Selfie overload about to occur!










Wicked was wickedly awesome! I LOVED it! Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics of the show or the cast, but that's ok. I am already planning what musical we will see on our next visit to New York! 


 After Wicked, we decided to explore Times Square at night!



First, we visited the Hershey's store! It is BIG! It had Hershey everything!

 After the Hershey store, we went to the M&M store. It was even BIGGER! And it was so colorful!






I loved the M&M statues. They were so cute!





I could not wait to take a photo here! Ever since I watched The Amazing Spider-man 2, I wanted to visit here. I know it's kind of an odd place to want to go since they are just stairs, but hey, whatevs. To each their own. 




New York Times selfies. 




 The next day was a day for just exploring. We had no real place in mind to visit, but just wanted to experience New York without a schedule.


 We had brunch at a Filipino gastropub called "Jeepney". We had pinakbet with garlic rice. The food was ok, but more like a modern take on the dish. Also, the server wasn't very friendly. That seems to happen to us a lot lately.

 After brunch, we saw this really neat looking Italian bakery. We decided to stop in and try a canoli and cappuccino. I am so glad we did! It was SO GOOD!


 We decided to stop in and check out Flight Club. It is a well known sneaker boutique in NYC.

 For lunch, we met up with some friends from Houston at a place called "Alice's Tea Cup".

 She's a little cutie! She was in the toddler room with me when I worked at the Montessori.
 We ordered 3 different pots of tea and plenty of food. It was a really fun and cute place. I would definitely go back here again.



 Next, we decided to take the long train ride to Coney Island.


 We didn't go onto the beach because we didn't want to get sand in our shoes, but of course, I had to snap some pics!

 This is Luna Park! It was very interesting to visit here! We didn't ride any rides, but it was neat to see.








After James Coney Island, we needed to make our way to Eataly (like Italy) to buy gifts for Eyen's mom. On our way, we found this food festival! I don't know how we got so luck! :D

 Peanut butter and pistachio cannoli!


Happiness! 


 This is only the BEST empanada we have EVER tasted! It is a Chicken Curry empanada. YUM!

Of course I would find the Brasilian booth. I love Guarana!



 We also tried the roasted corn. SO GOOD!


Eataly was definitely an experience. "Eataly is a high-end Italian food market/mall chain comprising a variety of restaurants, food and beverage stations, bakery, and retail items." We brought back a bunch of goodies for Eyen's mom! She loved it!




 Flat iron building.
 Grand Central Station! Sorry the photos are kind of dark.


 Grand Central Selfie.

 For dinner, we ordered pizza for delivery. Half Cordon Bleu, Half seafood special. A very good pizza!

Some extra goodies I picked up on a little trek I went on. Macarons and potato chips! 


 Saturday was our business day. Sneakcon New York.

 Us preparing for the show.




 I told Eyen I was hungry, so she ordered me breakfast! The great thing about New York is you can have almost anything delivered! That is great for us since we can't really leave our table! This is the eggs benedict!



 Our table and our shoes. <3



New York was a place to visit! There are so many different things to do! I can't wait for us to go back there. There are many places I want to see that we weren't able to visit. 

Stay tuned for what's to come next! :)

1 comment: